Thursday, June 17, 2010

first things first

summer is almost here in Oregon and it leaves me craving all things light, flowey and airy.
this dress was snatched from the goodwill as soon as I glimpsed the beautiful striped silk fabric.
Originally the hem was much longer, but I cut it right above the knee and hand-sewed a new hem into it to give it that soft, rumpled look.
the buttons were made of blue shell and I replaced them immediatly.
the sleeves are batwing, and were at an awkward length so I cuffed them and moved the buttons to the other side.
lastly, the pockets had button closures that hung too flat so I sewed in a bit of elastic to give them a soft pouchy look.
The shoes are from goodwill as well and
 are made of a beautiful brown linen with a chunky wooden sole. 
I'm not too sure what era they would have been from. any ideas? 
dress~ $8.99
shoes~ 4.99
ribbon~$.25

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to lusting after your finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this dress--when are you going to start selling this stuff?? Dibs on this one :)

    ReplyDelete